BIBLE READING: Jonah 1:1-16
To ride in the wrong direction is to live a disobedient life, which will surely end in disarray. Jonah was sent to Nineveh to preach God’s word but ran to Tarshish as an act of disobedience to God’s instruction. He became a great problem for other passengers in the ship and brought them a great loss of goods and valuables. After this, he ended up in the belly of fish for three days.
King Saul was riding high with God until he started disobeying God and God’s servant’ instruction. This was the beginning of his heading in the wrong direction which caused him to lose the throne to a young man, David. He eventually lost his life.
Samson, Lot, Judas Iscariot, Demas, and others, rode in the wrong direction. But Abraham found favour with God because he was obedient to God’s instruction to walk before Him and be perfect – Gen. 17:1. His obedience opened the floodgates of heaven for him. He became the Patriarch of faith and all believers in Christ Jesus are all regarded as children of Abraham by faith.
- By the mercy of God, I will not yield to the enticements of the world that results in riding in wrong directions and destruction.
- Lord, I refuse to ride in wrong directions this year in Jesus’ name
- I crucify the works of the flesh that make the way of destruction appears right in Jesus name – Proverbs 14:12.
- Lord, may I not derail from your plan for my life in Jesus name.
- Father, do not let me cause harm, suffering or loss to my family, church and people around me by being a wrong example in life..
- I will not lean on my own understanding this year, I will trust you completely in Jesus name.
- I receive to not look back to the rottenness of my past like Lot’s wife or love the pleasures of this present world like Demas in Jesus name.
- Father give me grace to not follow Judas’ example, who performed signs and wonders with Jesus but ended by committing suicide.
- Father, give me grace to follow the godly example of those who through faith and patience obtained the promise. People like Paul, Peter, James, Stephen, etc.
- Help me to earnestly contend for the precious faith, never to experiment cunningly devised fables and popular trends that bring men’s applause but ends in hell fire.
- Father, I ask for the grace to obey my spiritual leaders and not become a pain/thorn to their ministries in Jesus’ name.
- I receive the full blessings of obeying God this year in Jesus name.